Friday, May 18, 2007

a Lesson learned

Danny and I dated for about 7 months. Now some may scoff that that is a very short time and perhaps so; but when the heart gets broken, what does time mean?
I was in love and thought he loved me. Now, years later, I wonder what did my time in his life mean? Did I mean anything to him? Was I for nothing? these are the questions I ask and the things I fear.
~
Skip ahead to Sam. We dated for about 4 months. We had a great time. An almost perfect relationship. I joined the military and moved away. Our paths seperated and shorly after so did we. To me, it was the end of a chapter and my focas was on the road ahead. Five years go by and periodicly he shows up at my family's home to inquire on how we all are. "Why?" I thought there was closure -- at least there was for me.
I had to get an answer. Another year goes by and I finally get to ask him "why?".
"Friends" he says. That our friendship meant something to him. Now I (being a mature and rational adult) explain we only dated for 4 months (not long) and how could that be so important to him...??!?!?!
He was hurt and I couldn't figure out why. I kept thinking "4 months....4 months....what's the big deal?!?"
~
Today it has all come together. Today I have learned this lesson. He wanted to know that his time in my life meant something. He wanted to mean something to me. He wanted to know that he was not for nothing. All those questions I had...all the answers I wanted. The tables had turned and what had I done to assure that person that he did make a difference in my life. That he was important.
~
Yes, he was important and his time was not for nothing.

1 comment:

gilSilvers said...

Yeah. Amor vincit alia. Love conquers all, including time and distance. It's the strongest, most durable substance known to man -- God's gift.