Monday, November 10, 2008

Riggers of Remodeling

It is a process. It is an adventure, a headache, a learning experience.

My beau, Marlin, and I have been starting our "remodel". We aren't knocking down walls (thankfully) but we are taking out carpet, putting in hardwood flooring, painting, curtains, building a shed and back deck, laying down paverstone paths and putting in landscaping. Granted, not all at one time but we are starting with the painting and curtains.

Our theme: Country cottage

We both like the rustic and cozy feel and agree to most of the ideas but once in application, frustration sets in:
Marlin has to draw everything out right now and get the measurements of everything and pricing on the entire project and tools! for every thing to prepare for the upcoming projects. He says we have to do all this to submit for approval from the HOA which could take up to 6 months or so. He is the details and planning on the numbers side; pricing the lumber, determining the type of brace we need, buying the nail pressure gun, calculating the cubic inches, looking at blue prints of decks, buying software to virtually design it, and staking out the yard (even though we aren't building it for a year).
I am not as left brained. I like drawing out the plans for the landscaping and deck and yes, I want it all now too but I want to work on one project at a time. We both know we are working on a budget so I have a hard time seeing why we have to buy tools now we won't need for months. I understand we have to draw plans for approval for the HOA but do we need pricing for next years project when it is very likely the prices will have changed in a years time. He is so focused. I get overwhelmed with the entire project so I am trying to pace ourselves so we are only looking at what we need now for just painting; then we can look at buying another mantel or getting estimates on flooring, or buying pressure nail guns in two different sizes... etc.
Hence we get frustrated with how the other one works.
{sigh}
But I absolutely love him and am so glad that he can do all this stuff and I am so very happy that he will be working with (and learning from) my Poppa. Hopefully, this will bring them closer and Marlin will enjoying spending as much time them as he does with his family.

1 comment:

Dawn Sodini said...

Dreams and plans they are wonderful. Where's the picture of your beau. Enjoy the courting time.