Friday, August 14, 2009

Both sides of the fence

For sometime I was single.

While I prided myself on being a rational person and seeing both sides, I must admit my view was, of course, limited because I hadn't been on both sides, merely just looked over and thought I had a good enough perspective.

So now I am on the other side.

And I look back at the fence and ... well, I still feel the same way.

There are those folks, most folks, that once they are in a new relationship, they are consumed with that new person. Suddenly everyone one that was once a friend is no more. Whether it be not enough time to spend with those ol' friends or the new love doesn't approve. Perhaps there are other reasons, but it seems to boil down to those two.

I have usually been on the single/ol' friend side that suddenly got pushed to the wayside. I never appreciated that. I understood that a new relationship requires time to take root and one wants to spend time with their new love but come on!!!! I still exist too! What am I? Dirt????

[deep breath]

So I have been in a new relationship now. I am on the other side. I want to spend a lot of time with my great guy, wonderful beau, handsome man... and I do feel terrible that I don't make as much time to call, write, email, or text my ol' friends. But, I do try to drop a line occasionally. I do say hi and apologize for my neglect.

So I apparently had a friend that used to be single but now he has a gal and I am chopped liver. Just as it was the last time he had a gal. So what will I be next time he is single?

....maybe I will just be busy. .....?.....

.... but I still feel the same way after seeing both sides of the fence.

1 comment:

Dawn Sodini said...

We have been married so long that I don't remember being single. In fact this weekend will make 12 years! I can't believe it and neither can he! How we have grown and changed. He said the other day wouldn't it be neat to have this baby on our anniversary? That would be great by me - I am physically ready to share a part of my body rather than the whole thing!
Love you, girl! Dawn